Are Moldy Schools Destroying Our Kids?
Mold is a big issue these days. One reason is damage it does to lungs and immune systems. And who does it damage most? Kids and senior citizens.
Well, let's just talk about kids right now. And let's narrow our conversation to school systems. Why? Because kids spend up to 8 hours a day there, breathing in whatever is floating around in air.
To see kinds of illnesses mold can cause, visit mold people at
Let's talk about schools now.
Every year, somewhere in USA schools are being closed down because of mold. Why are so many schools moldy?
The main cause of any mold problem is ultimately water. Something is too wet.
Now if a building floods, we just dry it out and that usually stops mold from growing, right? Well, if you get building totally dry within 48 hours answer is yes. That's time it takes for most mold spores to start growing actual mold colonies. Most of time it takes bureaucrats 48 hours to find out there has been a flood. Then there are committees to decide how to dry building. And then there are bids to get lowest cost.
So drying isn't enough. Takes too long. Mold is growing and it can continue to grow after building is dried. All it needs now is moisture in air.
Speaking of air, we also have to consider air conditioners. Most schools use air conditioners that are bought cheap and maintained by lowest bidder.. Air conditioners that aren't maintained properly sweat and moisture can cause mold growth.