Continued from page 1
About a week later, both stories hit. One publication ran my press release verbatim and other covered all content in my release and added quotes and information from her phone interview with me.
PR isn't hard when you follow these 6 basic rules:
(1) Identify news outlets that reach YOUR target audience
(2) Send news that is important to, and includes a clear BENEFIT for publication's audience
(3) Send your release to APPROPRIATE writer or editor
(4) Include a "HOOK" or something that makes it more interesting or relevant to publication and their audience (in my case, since writers covered local advertising community, I led with fact that I am a local ad agency veteran)
(5) Follow up with a phone call
(6) Make yourself available to do an interview, answer questions or provide additional information
While I didn't expect a whole lot to happen as a result of this release being published (my objective was simply to announce launch of my business and to pave way for future news. I know it usually takes multiple message exposures to generate significant results), short-term results were amazing.
Not only did it generate sales, I also received an invitation to speak as a result of stories.
What news could you share about your business? What news outlets reach your prospects? Consider newspapers, magazines, radio and TV stations, websites, and any other form of media you can think of.
What "hook" could you use? I challenge you to consider how you could use PR to market your business. It really is easier than you think and results can be amazing!
To see press release I sent out (Agency Veteran Launches Marketing Training Program) and PDFs of resulting articles, visit http://www.10stepmarketing.com/news.htm
(C) 2005 Debbie LaChusa
20-year marketing veteran Debbie LaChusa created The 10stepmarketing System to help small business owners and solo-preneurs successfully market their business, themselves without spending a fortune on marketing. To learn more about this simple, step-by-step program and to sign up for her FREE audio class and FREE weekly ezine featuring how-to articles, tips and advice, visit http://www.10stepmarketing.com