Continued from page 1
3. Are your business vision and goals aligned with each other? When you tweak or expand your vision, don't forget to adjust your goals. Serena, head of sales division for a cookware company, described her vision and its supporting goals this way. "My vision is that within five years, my company will be #1 in sales for this cookware niche. Our cookware will be regarded as high quality at a tremendous value. We will be bringing in $2 million annually in sales, and have a national and international presence." In order to build her vision, Serena set these goals: cultivate national and international distributors to sell her product in their areas, get large retail chains to carry cookware line, and to follow up aggressively with former and potential customers.
4. Does your vision still excite you? At one point or another, most visions need to be expanded, tweaked or abandoned. Here are some common vision traps:
- You feel chained to your vision forever. "Now that I've built my vision, I must stay with it. Even if I don't want to."
- You have blinders on. You miss recognizing expansion necessary to keep your vision alive and insure its success. "My initial vision is actualized - okay, I'm done."
- You don't honor your own vision style. Some people are vision-expanders and some are vision-starters. Vision-expanders build their vision and continue to grow it and move it forward. For vision-starters, joy is in initial design and implementation of vision. Once their idea comes to life, these folks get bored and restless, ready to move on to next idea. Both styles are valid. If you feel bored, restless or frustrated with your business or your business vision, these can be clues that something needs to change!
Vision is "big picture" that keeps us going, carrot in front of our horse. If our vision is doing its job, we are continually inspired by its existence and by refinement and expansion of it. Set aside time for your tune up today. Paying attention to your "vision-sense" may just what you need to recharge your business and reignite your passion.
------------------------------------------------------------------ Claudette Rowley, coach and author, helps professionals identify and pursue their true purpose and calling in life. Contact her today for a complimentary consultation at 781-676-5633 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up for her free newsletter "Insights for Savvy" at http://www.metavoice.org.
Claudette Rowley, coach and author, helps professionals identify and pursue their true purpose and calling in life. Contact her today for a complimentary consultation at 781-676-5633 or email@example.com. Sign up for her free newsletter "Insights for the Savvy" at http://www.metavoice.org.