By: Neeraj Varma
Negotiation is where many FSBO home sellers really have problems. The wrong attitude or a slip of tongue could cost you thousands. Here are a few pointers to keep you on right path:
1. Show interest in selling house. In an effort to project a sense of strength many people either take an aggressive "take it or leave it" attitude, or they appear to be overly relaxed, almost disinterested. It is better to have an open mind, stay calm, be helpful.
Carefully investigate and analyze facts. Make an intelligent response to buyer. Being helpful makes it easier for buyer to relax and be more willing to see your point of view.
2. Listen carefully to what buyer has to say. Try to learn about buyer's needs, wants, desires, fears, frustrations and problems that need solving. This will give you information you need to work with buyer and close deal.
3. Don't let your personal feelings get in way of accepting a good offer. Don't get thrown off by little eccentricities of people. You may not like buyer, but that doesn't matter. A little patience on your part could make you thousands of dollars. After sale of house, you never have to see him again. Keep emotions and finances separate.
4. Use time to your advantage. If at all possible, try not to be squeezed for time. Find out if buyer has to move in by a certain deadline. The closer deadline, more they will be willing to pay a little higher for a quick close.
5. Close using mortgage payments rather than price of house. You would be surprised how little monthly mortgage payment changes when asking price changes by several thousand dollars. You can easily work out mortgage payments at: http://www.mortgage-rate-canada.com/canadian-mortgage-calculators.html If you can find out income related information from buyer, it will be easier to use this technique.