People management and leadership has become a major topic of conversation in today’s market place and have assumed mythical qualities. Managing you people is not that difficult if you are willing to invest one thing in their development; YOU. The emotional cost and some simple training and mentoring can see you be a successful leader and manager.
As a previous CEO of companies (before starting Biz Momentum) I proved this time and time again and often baffled and confounded those that wanted to make whole leadership thing complicated!
What’s it all about!!
1. Managing your people is largely COMMON SENSE
2. Leaders don't wait for others to show way.
3. Leaders participate in workplace and are seen doing hard yards, leading by example we used to call it.
4. Leaders inspire other people through authenticity (Random Acts of Kindness, Mentors not Tormentors)
5. Leaders know their people - Mother Teresa took time to know her 700 sisters? It’s all about choice. As for your people, do you now their partners and children’s names? do you know what is important to them?
A Metaphor - Motor Vehicle - How do you treat your car?
Most people put more positive effort into servicing their motor vehicles than taking time to fine-tune their employees.
• Get to know your car • Get used to driving it • Servicing it • Recognising different noises – timing chain • Know when its time to replace, upgrade or keep it
A. What has this to do with employees?
Sign Contract Ensure you employees have a valid Employment Contract
Fuel Car - Empower your people A comprehensive ‘job description’ and let them do job
Take out Insurance Induct your employees – let them know their responsibilities and rights