For over fifty years, public-school officials and politicians have tried one education fad after another. They have all failed. Children should not be turned into victims and educational guinea pigs by public-school authorities. Here's why public schools can waste 12 years of your children’s lives and destroy their love of learning:
1. These schools teach children to read with whole-language method (now called "balanced-reading instruction"), which cripples children’s ability to read. That is why after 12 years, millions of graduating high-school students have poor reading skills, and some students can barely read their own diplomas.
2. Public schools teach “new” or fuzzy math which can cripple a child’s ability to do math and destroy their self-confidence. A child who is afraid of math won’t have confidence to pursue a career in science, computers, or engineering, thereby cutting them off from these rewarding careers.
3. Because these schools can cripple children’s ability to read, they must force children to read dumbed-down textbooks in English, History, and many other subjects. These textbooks are geared to slowest learners in class and water-down subject matter. These dumbed-down courses therefore waste children’s time.
4. Most “teaching” in public-schools consists of students having to memorize facts from dumbed-down textbooks, only to regurgitate these same facts on dumbed-down tests. John Holt, in his book, “How Children Fail” points out that most students forget facts they memorized within a few weeks after test. So most children learn little from their classes except how to cram their heads with useless facts which they soon forget. This goes on for 12 years.
5. Public schools force children to study subjects they hate, can’t do, will never use in their lives, or which bore them. For example, many schools force students to study geometry and trigonometry, French or another foreign language, or world history. Children should be studying subjects they love and are good at. When they have to study subjects that bore them, only thing children learn is to hate learning.