Whiskey: An Antidote For Cancer?Written by Charlene J. Nuble
Some scientists believe that whiskey may be one of keys to preventing Big C
For a quite a number of years, liquor has been known not only to bring destructive intoxication and addiction upon its patrons, but also as deterrent to a healthy lifestyle. But as a potential weapon against cancer? Sounds controversial.
Rumors that single malt whiskey may be a tool to combat cancer have begun circulating recently. Whether it actually holds any water has yet to be proven. According to one of theory’s proponents, a consultant to whiskey industry, Dr. Jim Swan, antioxidants present in whiskey, particularly ellagic acid, can reduce risk of developing cancer, since this acid fights unstable atoms that aid in rapid cell replication. He added that more cells were produced, more likely that rogue cancer cells will be born. “Whiskey can protect you from cancer and science proves it,” he said, speaking at EuroMedLab 2005 conference in Glasgow. Dr Swan explained that ellagic acid, which is in greater concentration in whiskey than in red wine, breaks down harmful free radicals present in our body.
However, Cancer Research UK remains unconvinced. The agency has raised concerns that what Dr Swan and his supporters are pushing might mislead consumers into drinking excessive amounts of whiskey just to avoid cancer. Cancer Research noted that liquor intake can eventually lead to certain kinds of cancer, such as those in esophagus, throat, mouth, bowel and liver. Dr Swan’s idea that whiskey can prevent cancer also received criticism, owing mostly to an absence of population data supporting them. Contrariwise, according to agency’s head of cancer information Lesley Walker, there exists evidence that high alcohol consumption does increase cancer risks. Ms Walker noted that while ellagic acid is a formidable antioxidant and may greatly aid in fight against cancer, its presence in whiskey is not reason enough for people to begin drinking up, especially as ellagic acid can also be found in certain fruits.
Post Nasal DripWritten by Joe Miller
Post nasal drip is a sensation of mucous build up in throat. Sometimes you may even feel a dripping sensation from back of your nose. The cause is over-production of mucous by glands in nose and in throat.
At a healthy level those glands produce around two quarts of mucous each day. Most, if not all, of that is swallowed without knowing it. The mucous, however, serves a healthy purpose at this level, cleaning and moistening nasal passages, trapping foreign matter that has been inhaled, moistening and humidifying air you breathe, and even fighting infection.
At an unhealthy level, mucous becomes either excessively thick or excessively thin, possibly due to irritation, infection, or allergic reaction. Those who have difficulty swallowing normally may especially need to be cautious, because build-up may fester and cause infection.
There are some things we cannot control. For example, more than 90% of irritants and bacteria which cause infection enter body through nose. Much of it will remain in nasal passages and seek to live and grow there.
The body will react to infection by sending its defense system of white blood cells to nasal passages to trigger more mucous production in order to “wash out” bacteria, irritants, or foreign matter. But this tends to further congest nose. What makes matters worse, we often blow our noses, swallow phlegm, or cough to relieve congestion, but these actions force bacteria to other places in body, including sinuses, throat, or ears, causing further sickness.