Steps to becoming a web host reseller
You’ve decided to get a reseller web hosting account to resell web space. What now? Here’s a step-by-step guide.
1. Choose platform you want to use.
More open source software programs are available for Linux than for Windows, which makes Linux less expensive. While most programs (Perl, PHP, Flash, etc.) run on both platforms, a few run on only Windows or Linux. A site that requires ASP or MS Access, for example, requires a Windows platform.
2. Choose control panel you want to use.
Control panels for websites range from very basic to loaded with features. As a reseller, you’ll also have a control panel for you to set up and control hosting accounts.
In Choosing Your Hosting Automation Software, we compare several control panels, all of which offer good features for web host resellers.
3. Choose your web host.
The web host company that you choose for your reseller account is a key decision — your business success depends on quality of your host. Factors to consider when choosing a web host for a reseller account:
- The platform and control panel
- Account features
- The company’s reputation — search for online reviews by clients
- The record of server uptime
- The level of support — how fast does tech support respond to support requests, especially time-sensitive ones?
- Flexibility — does web host have packages that allow you to upgrade when your needs increase? Will they customize plans if necessary?
- How long web host has been in business — while a new web host may be very good, many web hosting businesses fail within first year
- Price — consider what is included in price
- Get Started with reseller hosting. http://www.websitesource.com
4. Set up your hosting plans and prices
Divide your bandwidth by your disk space to find out ratio of bandwidth to disk space that you can offer. Take into account any ratios that differ if you upgrade to a larger package, and then base your packages on that ratio.
For pricing, consider what competitors charge, but also factor in any additional services you’ll be offering.
5. Develop a business website
You have three main choices for website development:
- Create a website using an existing website template http://www.websitesource.com/clientarea/reseller_website_templates.shtml
- Hire a designer or a design company to design your site for you http://design.websitesource.com/design/elements_custom-work.php
- If you have web design skills, design your site yourself