Not everyone in world has sufficient internet access capability to take advantage of benefits from VoIP. Shoot....most folks are lucky to have 1 phone line for that matter. This dose of reality kinda puts dampers on "VoIP will take over world" conspiracy theory.
But hold on there Junior....the little guy may just have found a hero.
Mail2speak, a US-based company, is offering users cut-throat rates to place international calls. But wait until you learn how they do it....read on.
* You can call US and UK from South Africa for R1.35 a minute. Telkom charges between double and triple price for these calls. Calls to Australia from SA are also about 50% cheaper.
* You can call anywhere in United States and most of Europe from Malaysia for just 45 sen per minute compared to 98 sen per minute at present charged by a local company using land lines. For mobile phones, calls will be 68 sen per minute as opposed to 98 sen. A call to China costs 50 sen per minute on a fixed line compared to 1.98 RM by fixed line charged by a local company.
* You can call anywhere in United States and much of Europe from Brazil for around 0.33 BRL.
* You can call Japan from Italy for 0.11 EUR......the US for 0.08 EUR.
* You can call India from UAE for 2.63 AED.......the UK for 1.74 AED.
Those are just a small sample of what is available.
What makes service unique is that unlike other Internet telephony applications, mail2speak does not require a microphone, a software download or a dedicated broadband connection with special equipment. All that is required to use service is access to website and an open phone line or cellphone to receive a call. You can place an international call from any phone or mobile/PDA at super low rates.