As keyword marketing becomes more and more expensive and competitive, it has become essential when building your lists to focus on maximum number of phrases and their variations that a surfer might enter into search engines.
Because according to Amit Singhal, principal scientist at Google, a guy who really should know what he's talking about, over 50% of 200 million searches performed a day have never been searched before. He also said: "When performing a search most surfers give a 2-4 word query".
So here are my top 18 recommended ways to build massive keyword lists:
1. Visit your competitor's web pages and look in title and meta tags.
2. Search for brand names in Google's Sandbox. This will return additional keywords that searchers entered when using brand name. You can also enter regular keyword phrases and get related keyword phrases that have been searched on Google. Link: https://adwords.google.com/select/main?cmd=KeywordSandbox
3. Look over your past customer testimonials, and see if there are any keywords you can use. This strategy lets you get inside your customer's mind to produce more market centric keywords.
4. Consider synonyms. A synonym is a word having same or nearly same meaning as another word or other words in language. Enter your keywords into Roget's Theasaurus for a list of related synonyms. Also visit LexFN. Links: http://thesaurus.reference.com & http://www.lexfn.com
5. Think of singular and plurals keywords.
6. What about verbs? Example: Ride, rode, ridden, ridding, rides.
7. Use hyphenation and variations. Example: off-shore, offshore, off shore.
8. Consider domain names. Many people enter domain names into search engines rather than their browser address bar. Example: cnn.com. In June 2005 cnn.com was searched 843,256 times on Overture.com.
9. Get books on your subject and use terms in index and glossaries to grow your keyword lists.
10. Download a free copy of Weblog Expert Lite. Then ask your web host how to download your raw stats files. Run them through software and you will then discover every possible keyword combination that surfers have used to find your website. Link: http://www.megastep.com/wle
11. Use Wordtracker. What does Wordtracker do? "... helps you find all keyword combinations that bear any relation to your business or service - many of which you might never have considered." Wordtracker is an essential tool to use. Link: http://www.keywordlistbuilder.co.uk