According to medical dictionary of Medline Plus, liposuction is removal of excess body fat by suction with specialized surgical equipments, typically performed by a plastic surgeon.
With removal of excess body fat, body appearance improves and evens out distorted body parts. Breasts, buttocks, abdomen, and face area are some of most popular body parts that undergo liposuction.
Foremost reason why people resort to liposuction is for cosmetic reasons. They want to eradicate "love handles", unsightly fat bulges, an abnormal chin line, etc.
Liposuction also helps improve sexual function by reducing fat deposits on inner thighs, thus allowing easier access to vagina.
Another reason for undergoing liposuction is body shaping that cannot be achieved by diet and/or exercise.
A note of caution, liposuction is not a cure for generalized obesity.
Liposuction is not as easy as just going to doctor and telling him or her, "I want a liposuction right now." People who want to have liposuction must meet certain criteria:
1) There should be a preliminary consultation. This includes history of patient, a comprehensive physical examination, and a psychological health examination;
2) There should be a second consultation to give time for patient to think over planned liposuction surgery;
3) If patient is married, spouse's presence may be required during consultation;
4) The patient should ask questions about liposuction, express reasons for consultation, and must feel satisfied with answers to their questions;
5) The patient must fully understand pre-operative liposuction preparations, liposuction procedures, and precise post-operative liposuction care to avoid lethal complications;
6) The patient must have realistic expectations. Liposuction enhances body appearance and boost self-confidence but it will never result to a perfect body.
Because liposuction is a medical procedure, there are risks involved. Some of complications that may happen upon having liposuction are:
* Fluid imbalance due to removal of a lot of liquid during liposuction and/or injection of large amounts of liquid during liposuction which can result to shock, heart problems, or kidney problems.