BECOMING ASSERTIVE.............by Mike Moore
If you're one of many who find it difficult to assert themselves following might be of assistance. Remember, you don't exist on this planet to be someone's doormat.
1. Don't avoid expressing your negative or critical feelings. They are not bad or improper, they are just your feelings and you are entitled to them.
2. Feelings aren't facts. They are just feelings.
3. Use "I" Language to indicate that feelings you are expressing are yours. You are not accusing or judging anyone.
4. You don't have to justify your feelings, you only need to state them.
5. Assertive behaviour discloses your wants, needs ,preferences and opinions. Aggressive behaviour discounts, ignores and over-rides wants, needs, preferences and opinions of others.