The Lure of Easy Money
© 2002 Elena Fawkner
You might be forgiven for thinking that competition is fierce if you run an online business. After all, every day - day in, day out - you, me and everyone else is constantly bombarded by offers from every man and his dog for various programs that promise us means to earn an income from home.
After a while, of course, you begin to recognize that these programs are not worth paper they're written on and people pushing them are little more than con artists (or worse).
A common theme in all of these offers is lack of effort required to begin making a significant income. Witness all "Make money while you sleep!", "We do all work!", "$3,000 per week for two hours work!", "Big money, no experience required!" subject lines in your inbox this morning.
The reason these types of offers are so prevalent, of course, is that notion of something for nothing is seductive. Who on earth in their right mind would actually choose to spend 40 hours per week working for $80,000 per year when they can earn same amount working only 2 hours each week? No one. The only problem is, working 2 hours a week and making $80K isn't going to happen unless that two hours is spent managing your multi-million dollar portfolio. And even then you'd most likely be spending more than a lousy couple of hours a week.
Common sense tells us that this must be so. But common sense is a rare commodity in real world and even rarer when it comes to anything to do with Internet, an unreal world if ever there was one.
There are a LOT of people running so-called "Internet businesses". A goodly proportion of these people are ones touting aforementioned "bizopp" pipedreams. This is good news for you, believe it or not. Why? Because, despite how it may sometimes seem, your REAL competition is relatively small in number. After all, if 98% of those doing business online are unsuccessful (and promoting get rich quick schemes is best way I know to make it into that elite group of 98 percenters), that leaves field wide open for 2% who are actually prepared to do some real work.