Banner advertising remains one of most effective and cost efficient manners of gaining targeted responses to visit your web site.
To benefit from this form of online advertising you must have a web page. It would also be preferable, though not essential, if traffic to your web page is already established.
The reason is that banner exchange programs base number of times they display your banner on others web pages based on how many times their banners are viewed on your web page.
And although a banner that belongs to someone else that is then displayed on your web site is like an exit for your visitor to leave, positives far outweigh any possible negatives.
Here are a few tips to improve your responses and increase your visibility via banners:
1. NEVER put a banner on your main entry page unless that banner is yours! When that banner is clicked it will take your visitor to another web page within your own site.
It takes a great deal of very hard work to build a steady flow of traffic to your web site. After doing all that hard work, does it not seem foolish to allow your visitor to leave immediately? Especially if it is to someone else's web page?
If you must have a banner on your entry page, make it your own banner that will take your visitor elsewhere within your own web site. Or make it to another web site but one that provides you with a commission.
2. Feel free to put banners on several web pages as this will provide you with additional credits from your banner service exchange choice.
3. It is a good idea to put banners close to top of web page because banner will load faster and thus insure that you get credit for its display.
4. If you have access or ability to write HTML code on your web site, then make certain to include WIDTH="" HEIGHT="" BORDER="" numbers as this allows images to load much faster.
And while you are at it, include ALT="" tag with a description of your banner that can then be viewed by those running with graphics turned off or by those, like blind, that use text readers.
5. Do you have access to web page that comes up within your own domain that shows whenever someone types wrong URL or if one of your pages is down for updating?
You know page I mean, "Not Found 404" page that displays by default.
If you have access, place a banner or two on this page and increase your banner views immensely. The "Not Found 404" web page is often one of most viewed pages within a given domain.
6. Have a banner with "Animation". Studies prove that results do increase by 26% or more over static banners. Most of banner exchange programs will accept them so long as you keep within total size limitations that they specify.
7. Quick load time is a must. That is why most Banner Exchanges hold their banners to a 7k maximum. People don't want to wait forever just to see what your banner has to written on it.