26 ways to minimize and manage unhealthy effects of stress, anxiety and burnout. By Bill Reddie
No doubt about it - we live in an increasingly competitive and stressful world. In many subtle and not so subtle ways it affects us all and it's not unusual for people to lace their conversation with phrases like 'Stressed out', 'Anxiety syndrome', 'Panic attack', 'Burned out', and more. That's today's reality.
The question is, how do we go about dealing with that kind of world? What can we do to minimize prolonged, unhealthy effects of a stressful environment? How can we prevent stress, anxiety and burnout from becoming a way of life?
Well, first we need to take a good hard look at what exactly is stressing us out and perhaps do a bit of repair work on our perspective of situation. A good way to do that is by reviewing some very basic and constructive advice that has always been available but is often forgotten in our daily scuffle to get ahead.
For most part, advice is based upon common sense and can often provide clarity and guidance in stressful situations.
That said, study list below to see if it contains something that will work for you. At first glance, these suggestions may appear deceptively simple but each will, nonetheless, require dedicated effort and discipline.
1. Don't try to please everyone. It's impossible, debilitating and very stressful.
2. Stop living your life according to beliefs, opinions and prejudgments of others. Its your life, not theirs.
3. Create dependable friendships with people who can be counted on to support your effort to change, learn and grow.
4. Try to make changes gradually. Doing so will help you to maintain a more positive outlook as you progress. Attempting to change too much too soon often leads to disappointment.
5. Establish priorities that are consistent with your own values.
6. Examine your beliefs and goals. Are they unrealistic or unattainable?
7. Accent positive and learn from negative.
8. Focus on present. The past cannot be changed. The future hasn't arrived yet. That leaves you with now. Now is time to create future you desire.
9. Are you a workaholic? If so, try to create a more balanced lifestyle. By so doing, you'll minimize a lot of stress too.