pring Maintenance: Gutter Tips
Spring is a good time to examine your gutters and see if they need to be cleaned. Here are some gutter cleaning tips.
- Plan on inspecting your gutters twice a year in spring and fall. If your house is under any trees you may have clean gutters more often.
- A small garden shovel works well for scooping debris out of gutters.
- Make your own gutter shovel with a 1 liter plastic pop bottle. Cut off bottom of bottle and half of cylinder to make a scoop.
- If your gutters sag water will not flow properly. Remove all debris and re-attach gutters.
- Use a hose with pressure nozzle to clean out clogged spouts.
- Use a plumber's snake for stubborn clogs.
- Patch leaks with outdoor caulk.
- If you are using an extension ladder place a 2x4 in gutter to help prevent it from bending under pressure of you and ladder.