I believe key to effective time management is having a PLAN. Once you have done that, communicate your plans to others involved in your life (those nearest and dearest to you), or those people working with you in business.
SOME HINTS IN TIME MANAGEMENT:
1. Prioritise your goals. Set up following:
* A weekly plan: Plan for a week at a time.
* A 'don't forget' list.
* A 'what now' list.
2. Focus on important things - things that really matter to you.
3. Throw out irrelevant bits of paper.
4. No matter what pressure you are under, try to control your stress level at all times.
5. Control interruptions (even a 'closed door' policy is not a bad thing).
6. Don't procrastinate.
7. Prepare a reminder list of essential details.
8. Plan to get routine tasks out of way as quickly as possible.
9. Develop routines. Ask yourself this question: can any (procedures) be eliminated or speeded up?
10. Focus on one task at a time.
10. Pat yourself on back each day by reviewing your accomplishments.
11. Self monitor and self evaluate your progress on way to your goals.
12. Set and keep deadlines for yourself and others (Don't "interrupt" yourself).
13. Learn to say "no" to others' demands.
14. Slow down for success.
15. Distinguish really urgent from seemingly urgent. Sort out low priority work. Put it aside for later or eliminate it totally.
16. Encourage others to get to point on telephone or at meetings. Without being too rude, of course!