AltaVista (Provides results to AltaVista) Purchase at: http://addurl.altavista.com/
* Upon submission, your pages will make it into AltaVista index within 2 business days.
* Your pages are respidered every 24 hours.
* The term of pay inclusion program is 6 months.
* Reporting services are included, such as tracking submissions and transactions through their online Account Management Center.
* The audience reach of AltaVista, according to Nielsen NetRatings in October 2002, was: AltaVista: 4.4% . Source: (http://www.searchenginewatch.com/reports/netratings.html)
* Cost? $39 for first URL, and $29 each for 2-10 URL's, then $19 each for 11 to 500 URLs. So, total cost for our three pages for **six months** would be $97. The cost per year would be $194.
AltaVista's pay inclusion is more expensive than others, and AV doesn't have coverage that some of other engines have. Plus, their pay inclusion program is only for six months, as compared to a full year with other programs.
So, you'll have to decide whether you feel it's worth cost.
AltaVista is one engine where you can still use their free add URL without being placed into same category as huge group of "free add URL spammers," because AltaVista's free add URL process doesn't allow mass submissions. Instead, their unique "puzzle submission" process requires you to enter a submission code into submission box, and you can only submit five URLs at no cost. So, if you want to use free add URL for one of engines, AltaVista's is one to use. http://addurl.altavista.com/addurl/new
Total Costs So Far
With our example, considering that this is a brand new Web site with zero visibility, we'll figure out cost for our three pages based on using AltaVista's pay inclusion program and on not using their program.
Subtotal of Yearly Pay Inclusion Costs Without AltaVista: $221 (for 3 pages) (Includes Inktomi engines, Fast engines, Teoma, and Ask Jeeves. This does NOT include AltaVista.)
Subtotal of Yearly Pay Inclusion Costs With AltaVista: $415 (for 3 pages) (Includes Inktomi engines, Fast engines, Teoma, Ask Jeeves, and AltaVista.)
You might be wondering why I haven't listed Yahoo! directory in this listing of pay inclusion programs. With way that Yahoo! now displays results, which are almost a duplication of Google results, importance of submitting to Yahoo! directory at a yearly cost of $299 has diminished. Depending on where things go from here with Yahoo!, having purchased Inktomi engine, this is subject to immediate change. But, at this point in time, paying to be included in Yahoo! directory isn't anywhere near as important as it once was. If you have good visibility in Google, you should have good visibility in Yahoo!.