In my humble opinion, everyone should create a homepage. Wait, let's back up a minute. What's a homepage? Well, there are really two definitions. First, a homepage is first page of a web site, usually named index, default or home. Second, a homepage is a web site with one or more pages which is personal. It's second definition which we are using in this article.
Okay, so why would anyone want to create a homepage? It's simple really. The internet is all about communication. A homepage is a method whereby you can communicate about yourself, your family, hobbies, pets, likes, dislikes, religion or anything else that you desire. Oh, there are limits to what you can put on your web site - you must stay within contractual terms of company which is hosting it. You also should not violate any laws - but besides that, post away.
You say you have nothing to communicate that anyone would want to know? Hmmm. You're alive, aren't you? You have a family, a job, a pet, a hobby, anything? Let's see what kind of topics you can choose.
- Make a fan site for your favorite television show (Star Trek, Wonder Woman, Dallas, whatever)
- Create a personal diary.
- Post a photo album.
- Put up pictures of all of trash cans in Disneyland (someone already did it).
- Write about and include drawings and photos of your cat, dog, fish, armadillo or snake.
- Tell everyone about your job.
- People are always interested in religion - talk about yours.
- You like your car? Create a web site all about that.
- What about your travels around world? A diary and/or photos is a good thing to put on a homepage.
- Did some school papers of which you are proud? Post them.
- If you are an artist or photographer, display your work.
- Figure something out? Tell us all about it.
- Had an out-of-body experience, been kidnapped by aliens or remember your past lives? Well, we'd all like to know.
That's just a sample, there are an infinite number of subjects that you can write about.
All right, so now you want to create a home page. How do you go about it? Find a company (a provider) to host it, choose a web editing package (optional), and get to work. If you want to include photos or other graphics you will need to get a graphics editor and possibly a scanner. Don't worry, just start small and work your way through it. The providers usually make it pretty easy to get started.
Visit some of sites listed in article on freehosts (http://www.internet-tips.net/Homepages/freehosts.htm). Read their information and FAQs (frequently asked questions) until you find one that you like.