Summary: You need a small amount of financial help fast, but you heard payday loans can be expensive and dangerous. What now? Find out how to avoid dangers and reap benefits of payday loans.
Payday loans may be right for you if you need some money for a short time and have no other option. Car repairs, medical emergencies and other unexpected expenses can really strain your finances. Some weeks last longer than your wages do. So you simply borrow enough to tide you over until your next payday.
There are two kinds of payday loans:
1) online payday loans
2) in-person cash advances.
Both kinds of payday loans are convenient, quick, private and easy.
• Convenient: You can apply for an online payday loan using your computer. You don’t have to deal personally with a loan officer when you apply for or request an extension for your payday online loan.
• Quick: The online payday loan takes only a short time to complete and usually doesn’t require any other documentation. Web payday loans are approved in minutes--virtually “guaranteed loan approval.” The cash could be in your bank account within a day.
• Private: You apply for an online payday loan at home. No bumping into nosy neighbors while waiting in line at bank!
• Easy: There are few online payday loan application requirements. The loan amounts are smaller than conventional bank loans so paperwork is less. Generally, you just need to be at least 18 years old, have a job (so you have a payday) and earn at least $1000 a month.
Note: a payday cash advance loan is a little different from online loan. All you do is give lender a post-dated check or some personal information like a credit card number and you get your cash advance on spot. When you repay loan on payday, you get your check back. Of course, it lacks convenience and privacy of applying online.
Avoiding Payday Loan Dangers
So, what about your friends’ warnings? Yes, payday loans can be quite expensive. Interest rates are high--sometimes as high as 700% a year! You may also be charged other fees. But you can get around these by following advice below. A little headwork can save a lot of headache.
• Trust only payday loan lenders with good reputations. Remember, you’re giving them personal financial information like credit card or checking account numbers so you want to deal with honest people. On lender’s website, look for BBB (Better Business Bureau) logo.
• Make sure you check annual percent rate (legally, you must be told this) and shop for best rate. If you didn't think payday loans could be expensive before, this APR might be an eye-opener, especially when you remember that credit card usually offer 7%-27% APR.