One Conservative's View Of A Maximum Security SystemWritten by Hoyt W. Allen, Jr.
Adequate scripture supports "Imprisoning" of those choosing to "go around" laws of mankind (Gen. 40:3; 42:7; Lev. 24:12; Num. 15:34; I Kings 22:27; Judges 16:21- 25; Luke 3:30; Acts 12:4-10). In other words, if one selects to live in a society - then there are rules, regulations, laws, statues, ordinances, mandates, codes, canons, principles, and authority that must be adhered to. Now - anyone who has all of his/her mental faculties normally learns this early in life. However, since each of us has been created with a God-given free will, we can choose if we want to abide by rules, or go against them.
In athletic contests (baseball, football, basketball, racing, etc.), one must abide by rules or else they forfeit contest. In classroom, if one wills to obtain a "Passing Grade," there is a certain achievement to obtain. In world of employment, if one does not produce, then another is waiting in line for opportunity to give job a try.
Throughout years "Liberals," such as American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and others have constantly been brain washing our legislatures into granting more rights for criminal and less for victims. This has also been carried into our Penitentiary Systems. Today many of conservatives across our land are very upset with way criminals who have been removed from society have demanded various rights from within prison walls - and have received such (at tax payers expense). We no longer see "Chain Gangs" along roads, as they are busy "Recreating" inside prisons, along with their colored TV's, and air-conditioning.
May we understand that individual who has committed violent crimes against fellow human beings (murder, kidnapping, rape, child molestation, armed robbery, brutality, . . .) have committed crimes that call for their being removed from society. The Bible teaches that a person who commits a "Capital Crime" (rape, murder, . . .) should be executed quickly (Gen. 9:5,6; Eccl. 8:11). However, due to Liberals taking over our Judicial System "Capital Punishment" has been shelved. However, in some states - "Capital Punishment" is being restored. Thus, today we find inmates making demands upon prison administrators. They want:
a) Better food b) Higher pay c) Lower prices on commissary items d) Special clothing for their religious ceremonies e) To fire and hire new wardens f) More ethnic group guards g) More recreational facilities h) Visits from females for sexual pleasure
If I was going to revamp "Maximum Security System" today, it would probably look like following:
A. Grounds and Buildings
(1) The land would be in a very remote area, with plenty of acres to grow on and to protect public. Inmates would arrive blindfolded so they would not even know which way to escape if they did.
(2) The total prison area would have ten-foot high fences which would be high voltage charged. There would be two rows of these fences. It would also have razor sharp wire on top and in between these, to stop an escape if one was able to climb over it.
(3) Under ground beneath fences would be electronic movement detectors, so if an inmate was seeking to tunnel out an alarm would sound. Also - underneath fences would be quarter-inch steel with rustproof coating, protruding at least ten feet deep into earth.
(4) Outside of fences surrounding prison would be guards stationed in small bullet-proof watchtowers. They would be equipped with at least two machine guns and several thousand rounds of live ammunition. The guards would have access to radio communications to other prison personnel, high powered lights, escape alarms, video monitors, etc.
(5) Housing for inmates would be: a) built by inmates out of rough lumber, along with "Privies," since there would not be plumbing; b) a hand-powered water pump would be provided for drawing water with which to cook and bathe (the inmates would do their own cooking and laundry under guard supervision); c) there would be limited lighting, and no receptacles to operate radios, TV's, or any appliances (This is a prison and inmates are to be punished for committing crimes. They have given up their rights when they broke laws.); and d) there would not be any air-conditioning, except what breezes are blowing. The heating system would be provided by inmates, via either burning of coal or wood. If they select to burn down their housing - it will probably take a lengthy period of time to obtain more rough lumber for them to build, and at their expense.
Christians and the MoviesWritten by Hoyt W. Allen, Jr.
I am confident that most Christians want to do right and not go beyond God's boundaries. However, from time to time, they find themselves in situations not knowing what to do.
Which movies meet with God's approval is a problem for many church-goers. No one probably would object to movies such as; "Little House On The Prairie," "The Waltons," "Father Knows Best," "Andy Griffith Show," or "The Bill Cosby Show." However, movies with ratings of "PG", "R" and "X", should be considered as dangerous to one's spiritual health.
Satan has always been a "Master" at getting people to follow him. Se Genesis 3:1-24 for first deception he planted in minds of Adam and Eve. Also, note penalty which they suffered due to their falling prey to Satan's temptation. Satan is so very "slick." He sneaks up on one slowly and before a person realizes it, he has fallen into his traps.
The traps, which Satan sets for mankind are varied, but we will just look at - "questionable" movies. When movies first became known to man, they were wholesome and very helpful. Due to censorship, curse words, obscenities, profanities, vulgarities and "off color" jokes and comments were unheard of. But slowly, censoring process has "lowered" its standards. Satan always works like this, very slowly.
Today most conservative church-goers will note rating a movie has (theater, TV or VCR rental), prior to viewing it themselves or permitting their children to view it. The ratings are:
"G" - General Audience (Nothing questionable)
"PG" - Parental Guidance Suggested (Obscene language, suggestive scenes, etc.)
"R" - Restricted (One must be 18 years of age, or accompanied by an adult; obscenities, nudity, sexual scenes, etc.)
"X" - This is pornography in various forms (Scenes of graphically depicting sexual encounters; man/woman, boy/girl, group sex, homosexuals, anal, oral, "Sadomasochism" - which is men beating on women with rubber hoses or whips for sexual kicks, lesbians, etc.)
Now some folks may say, "We are living in 'UP AGE' and need to come out of Puritan Days." That sounds good, however, God's Word is still God's Word, and it still says, "Avoid every kind of evil" (1 Thessalonians 5:22).
If a person cannot watch a movie when fellow Christians are present due to its low moral standards, it should be avoided. Well, that is conclusion one would have to draw, if he is going to allow God's Word to guide him (see 1 Peter 2:11). Is this not right?
A few years ago, many Christians were willing to picket theaters which scheduled movies, other than wholesome one, such as what we today call "G" rated movies. Today many of those same church members attempt to justify watching movies with ratings other than "G." Most well meaning church members do not realize that movies that teach and show filth can become addictive. If you do not believe me concerning this, just notice enormous number of your acquaintances who are hooked on TV soaps.