You can get listed on search engine within a week or maximum within 2 weeks without even submitting your URL. Moreover, it is widely said nowadays that letting search engine 'spider' index your web site is better strategy than submitting URL. That is, don't submit URL to search engines: instead, let search engines find your web site, because search engine values site (which is found during usual crawling) more than one crawled by submission.
How to let search engines find your home page?
It's not difficult nor technical. In theory your site must be indexed on search engine without submitting your URL because search engine spider program will crawl your web site unless you totally hide your web site on web. Tips are techniques that force search engines crawl your site so that your home page can be listed on search engine within a week just after you upload your HTML files on your host. There is one condition, though. Your web pages must have some contents. Don't be panic. I believe almost every web site has decent content pages.
How to know your site is indexed or listed on search engine?
Before applying following tips, check weather your site is listed on search engines. To do that, type "site:your homepage address", for example, "site:www.yourhome.com" without quote in search box of Google, Yahoo! Search or MSN. If your site is indexed, you will see list of your web pages. If not and if you see something like "Your search ... did not match any documents.", your site is not listed yet.
If your site is listed, you don't need to read this article further. You have to focus on how to improve your search engine ranking.. If you're not indexed in search engine yet, apply following tips and you'll be listed on search engine within a week or two.
Tip #1:Create RSS feed and add it to your My Yahoo and My MSN account
Whether you know about RSS or not doesn't matter. Just create RSS feed of your web content pages or articles on your web site and I'll show you how to create RSS feed and explain how to use it to make your home page get listed on search engines.
First, create RSS feed
You can create RSS feed with "FeedForAll" software (for Windows user) without any background knowledge of RSS. It enables you to create RSS feed and update your RSS feed whenever you add new contents to your web site without hassle.You can download free trial of "FeedForAll" at FeedForAll free trial or buy FeedForAll here.
Another way to create RSS feed is:
- go to RSS Headline and choose number of headlines you'd like to include in your RSS feed file.
- Then a form with boxes that you need to fill out-your web page title, your web page location (URL) and description of your web page-will be appeared. Enter right information, then click "Make The Code" button. You'll notice that this is a bit tedious job but it's cost of free. :-)
- It only generates RSS version 0.91 but fortunately many of RSS reader can handle it. I checked its update function but unfortunately it didn't work correctly. This means probably whenever you update your site, you need update your RSS feed file manually.
- Copy generated code to your favorite text editor and save it with extension rss, for example, mypages.rss.
- Upload it to your ftp server so that your RSS feed location can be for example "www.yourhome.com/mypages.rss."
Now you're half done. Let's move to real tip.
Add your RSS feed to YOUR "My Yahoo!" and "My MSN"
If you don't have "My Yahoo!" and "My MSN" account, create them now. You can create them at "my.yahoo.com" and "my.msn.com" and they are free. After having these accounts, locate "add to My Yahoo!" and "MY MSN+" buttons linked with your RSS feed file on your web site. To locate those buttons, do following.
- Go to "FeedBuner" , and follow their instruction. Its service is free and it not only save your time but also gives you some benefits, for example, you can place amazon ads on your RSS feed file.
- Using your original RSS feed, FeedBuner will create RSS feed for My Yahoo! and My MSN. You can place either all RSS feed buttons or only one xml button on your web site. It's your choice. Important thing for your web site getting listed on search engine is to use add to My Yahoo! and add to My MSN button and to add your RSS feed content to your own My Yahoo! and My MSN account.
- Also ask your friends to add your RSS feed to their accounts. This enhances chance to get listed on search engines. I experienced, however. that without bothering my friend , that is, adding my home page RSS feed to only my own My Yahoo and My MSN, I could get listed in search engine within a week.