Copyright 2005 Daniel N Brown
The Bible tells us that we need to be led by Holy Spirit (Romans 8:12-14, Galatians 5:16-25). Therefore, it is necessary for us to discern prompting and guidance of Holy Spirit if we are to live successful lives.
Getting to know God better is ultimately key to hearing from, and being led by Him.
1. Spend time alone with Him in prayer and Bible reading. This should be a priority, not a chore that you grudgingly do if you happen to have some spare time.
2. During your time alone with God, don't expect to feel something. We are to live by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7), not by feelings.
3. Make sure that Bible version you are using is easy for you to read, otherwise you will become discouraged very quickly. Your local Christian bookstore can show you several versions of Bible and discuss their strengths and weaknesses.
4. Expect Him to speak to you. Sometimes you will get an immediate response, but most of time you will need to wait for awhile and keep watching for answer in whatever manner God chooses to speak to you.
5. Listen to your conscience and be quick to obey if you should lose your peace about something. If you ignore your conscience, you run risk of your conscience becoming "corrupted" (Titus 1:15) and "seared as with a hot iron" (1 Timothy 4:2), and it will be more difficult to hear from God.