Home based travel businesses are no longer wave of future. Home travel businesses are hot trend right now. So if youíre considering becoming a travel agent, this brief guide will provide you with information you need to know.
First, there are generally two types of home travel businesses:
- Referral agencies
- Booking and selling agencies
Home based travel businesses that fall into referral agency category do just that: they refer people to a travel agency. They may have several agencies they refer people to, but most generally have one travel agency that they work with on a regular basis. In return for referrals from a home based business travel agent, travel agency pays a referral fee or commission percentage on what travel agency receives from supplier. Part-time referral agents can earn up to $500 on each sale, and sometimes even more.
The home based travel businesses that fall into booking and selling agencies category usually work with one travel agency. These booking and selling travel agencies actually do booking and planning involved in making all necessary arrangements for great trips.
These are people who enjoy attending to all little details. They serve, more or less, as facilitators between their clients and a travel agency. Booking and selling home based travel business agents earn a lot higher percentage of overall commissionóbut they DO do a great deal more work. A full-timer at this, however, can earn $50,000 or more a year.
Some things you want to consider before you decide to open your own home based travel business are:
Once youíve answered all or at least most of these questions, you will need to make a business plan, outlining steps youíll have to take to achieve your goal of having your own home based travel business. And a plan just isnít any good unless you follow it.
- Do I need any special training or education?
- Should I pursue this part-time or full-time?
- Is my family supportive of my decision?
- Do I have a room in my home where I can set up an office?
- Should I get an extra phone line?
- What sort of office equipment do I need?
- What will I do about accounting?
- How do I manage my tax needs?
- Is this a job I will love?
- How much money do I want to make?
- Should I do any advertising?
- Do I have contacts I need to pursue this business opportunity?
- If I donít, how do I make contacts I need?
- Am I willing to put necessary effort into this business?
- Does my state require me to have a business license?