Choosing a weight loss program may be a daunting task. You may not know what to look for in a weight-loss program or what questions to ask. This information can help you make an informed decision about joining a program.
A Responsible and Safe Weight-loss Program.
Experts agree that best way to reach a healthy weight is to follow a sensible eating plan and engage in regular physical activity. Weight loss programs should encourage healthy behaviours that help you lose weight and that you can maintain over time. A safe and effective weight loss program should include:
1. Healthy eating plans that reduce calories but do not rule out specific foods or food groups
2. Regular physical activity and/or exercise instruction
3. Tips on healthy behaviour changes that also consider your cultural needs
4. Slow and steady weight loss of about ¾ to 2 pounds per week and not more than 3 pounds per week (weight loss may be faster at start of a program)
5. A plan to keep weight off after you have lost it
Gather as much information as you can before deciding to join a program. Providers of weight-loss programs should be able to answer these questions:
1. What does weight loss program consist of?
2. What are staff qualifications?
3. Does product or program carry any risks?
4. How much does program costs?
5. What results do participants typically have?
What does weight loss program consist of?
1. Does program offer individual counselling and/or group classes?
2. Do you have to follow a specific meal plan or keep food records?