Word Count: 580
Summary: Making a goal SMART is only first step in making that goal a reality; here are 10 practical steps to achieving your SMART goals
============================================================================ Beyond SMART Goals
These days, everyone seems to be talking about SMART goals. That is, goals that are:
............Specific ..............Measurable ................Achievable ..................Rewarding ....................Time-based
However, making a goal SMART is only first step in making that goal a reality. Here are 10 practical steps to achieving your SMART goals:
1. Set a SMART goal. Make sure your goal can pass SMART test. Is your goal clearly defined (specific)? Can results of your goal be quantified (measurable)? Is goal realistic (achievable)? Will achieving this goal be beneficial (rewarding)? Is there a clear date set to meet goal (time-based)?
2. Align your goals with your values. There are certain things in life that each individual values: family, honesty, spirituality, having fun, wealth, etc. Goals that are not aligned with your values are goals that are doomed to failure. Take a moment to ask yourself: Why do I want this goal? What is it going to help me accomplish? Who will it make me become?
3. Tell 3 - 5 key people about your goal. Sharing your goals with others help you become more accountable. Be sure people you are telling are people who are supportive and positive.
4. Identify necessary resources. What are some things that you need to make your goal happen? For example, if your goal is to lose weight, purchasing exercise tapes would be useful. Or if your goal is to change careers, perhaps you can find 2 or 3 people in your field of interest.
5. Identify time savers. While taking short-cuts can sometimes be detrimental to your achievement, there is no need to "recreate wheel." Why spend countless hours creating a business plan from scratch when there is great deal of software, templates, and samples available to you. Identify ways your can accelerate your progress.