For many of us, getting on a radio talkshow can be a great tactical move as part of our overall publicity effort. Pitching an appearance on a talkshow begins with much of same groundwork as preparing for a news release or other media pitch, you need to have a story idea or an angle to present to prospective radio show. Here are ten basic tips to use if you are considering presenting yourself as a talkshow guest.
1. Prepare a Backgrounder/Fact Sheet: This is particularly important if this is your first venture out into media. Radio talkshow hosts and their producers need to be assured that they are talking with a credible source. Just saying you are an expert in a particular field is not enough especially if you are somewhat of an unknown quantity.
2. Research Talkshow: Nothing kills your chances better than approaching a talkshow producer with a topic idea that in no way resembles style and content discussions normally aired on show. If you know what type of topics or pet projects talkshow host usually focuses on you should be able to tailor your pitch to be more in line with their subject matter, and raise chances of getting on show.
3. Capitalize on your Experience: Nothing scares a talkshow producer more than possibility of scheduling a guest with a great topic who once microphones are open has little or nothing to say. If you can demonstrate any past experience in anything that resembles talkshow experience such as speaking engagements or lecturing, producer is more apt to take a shot a your appearance.
4. Find out best time to call: Selling yourself as a guest on a talkshow is like any other sales call you don't want to call a potential prospect at their busiest time. Unless you are pitching an extremely high budget program you should avoid calling them while talkshow is on air. If you can find out when they normally field calls all better.
5. Ride a News Wave: If subject area you are considering pitching relates to a topic that is currently in news your interest to a talk show program is heightened. For example, if you are high tech company that is making money despite downturn in economy each time tech sector is attacked in media there is an opportunity for you to pitch yourself as a potential guest.