Five Snake Care Tips for BeginnersWritten by V. Berba Velasco Jr., Ph.D.
If youíre looking for an unusual, eye-catching pet, itís hard to go wrong with a snake. Theyíre exotic enough to catch peopleís interest, yet hardy enough to require minimal care. Nevertheless, uninformed first-time owners tend to make some basic mistakes, some of which can be quite costly. Here are some simple tips that can help ensure health of snake and prevent a lot of aggravation as well.
1.First, take note of how large your snake can grow to be. Most North American varieties only grown to be about four feet long, which is a reasonable size. Donít let a pet store employee talk you into buying a Burmese python, since these critters can grow to be over thirty feet long, and will require huge cages and tremendous amounts of food. (And before you askÖ No, most zoos will not accept these as donations.) 2.Donít scrimp on cage size. A cage that is too small can be very stressful and unhealthy to your pet. Pet store clerks will sometimes try to sell you caging that is inadequate in size, so donít fall into this trap. For adequate comfort, combined length and width of cage should at least match snakeís length. Snakes can grow fairly quickly, so donít forget to take that into account as well!
Things You should never feed your DogWritten by A.M. Wilmont
Unfortunately, there are a number of household items which we tend to take for granted that are potentially very dangerous to your dog's health. It is especially important to be aware of this because as you know, dogs are essentially scavengers and will often eat just about anything they can sink their fangs into. I would say that may own dog is more like a mobile garbage disposal. It is also very important to be aware of these items since their sense of smell is so well developed that your pooch will be able to find what you may think is well hidden.
One of these dangerous household items, it turns out, is simple chocolate. While chocolate has been reported recently to be high in human-friendly antioxidants, it appears to be potentially lethal for our pets, and particularly for our dogs. Cats are mostly unaffected since they do not care for taste of chocolate, but dogs tend to be crazy about it. Certain breeds of dogs react indifferently to chocolate. The root of problem is that chocolate contains various chemicals which are called methylxanthine alkaloids(sometypes have more of these chemicals than others) Sadly, relatively miniscule amounts of these chemicals are capable of causing such serious problems as constriction of arteries and an increased heart rate. Large amounts may cause even more dire symptoms and a pound of milk chocolate could possibly kill a sixteen pound dog. If you find that your dog has eaten chocolate then by all means take note of it's type and try to estimate amount eaten. Then get on phone with a veternarian or an emergency facility. Be sure that your children know how important it is to keep chocolate out of your dogís reach. If you are not aware that your dog has consumed chocolate, consequences could be severe. If consumption is not found within 4 to 6 hours without right treatment, cardiac failure, seizures, coma and death could result, according to veternarian Dr. Jane Bicks.
In addition to seemingly innocent chocolate, there are a number of other common household items that may seem safe for our dogs but that can be downright dangerous.