FRIDGE Magnet Marketing... "stickiness strategies."
"As much as things change they stay same."
As an OFFline marketer it's interesting to observe a trend emerging on web.
What's this trend?
Well, what's now happening is that highly successful promotional techniques, - which have been part and parcel of everyday, (offline) small business marketing campaigns - now have their web-equivalents.
* Company A is in marketplace competing with a lot of other Company A's.
Businesses have to find ways to keep their products and/ or services within orbit of their potential customers ever- diminishing attention span.
* Advertising is expensive. Advertising Messages have to be continually repeated to maintain a presence in marketplace. The Advertiser with biggest budget can pay for biggest presence (Note: this doesn't always translate into sales though.)
* Give-aways, freebies, contests, valuable guarantees, trial use, buy one - get one free, referral systems and loss leaders are used to attract customer attention.
ONLINE: Notice web similarities with these existing bricks and mortar promotional techniques here? Many of these offline promotional techniques are now becoming common fare on web.
ENTER The Fridge Magnet concept... "stickiness systems."
An excellent example of this trend in action is old fridge (refrigerator) magnet technique. Offline, it's a simple, cheap and EXTREMELY effective technique. ONLine it will achieve same results.
Why? Two phrases "Repetition & human laziness."
Here's how fridge magnet system works, OFFline.
1. Company A makes contact with a potential customer through a variety of different promotional techniques. Smart companies know that a person is unlikely to buy from them first time. Repetition is key.
2. As one of their strategies Company A gives potential customer their FRIDGE magnet, which has all of their contact details on it. The potential customer puts this magnet up on door of their fridge to (usually) hold a variety of flyers and notes.