Banners are a necessity for anyone doing business online. Sooner or later you'll want to do some banner advertising or simply swap with another site, so you'll want to make sure you have a few to choose from when that time comes.
There are "standard" sizes for banners, and you need to make sure you adhere to those standards before creating them. The most popular size by far is 468X60. Some of others are:
234X60 Half Banner 120X240 Vertical Banner
Popular button sizes are: 120X60 and 125X125 and a micro size of 88X31
You'll want to make a few in a variety of sizes so you already have right size for job at hand.
So what do you need to include on your banner? There are a variety of things you can do when designing to ensure clickability.
1) Use actual words "click here" somewhere on banner as a call to action.
2) Use some form of animation- Movement catches eye
3) Make sure your banner loads quickly by keeping size down to no more than 10K if possible.
4) Offer Something Free
5) Tell them just enough to pique their curiosity so they'll want to click and learn more.
6) Studies have shown these colors work best Orange, Green, Red, Blue, Black and Purple.
7) Create a sense of urgency by stating something like "Last Chance," or "Limited Time Offer."
So you've taken all this into consideration and you're thinking to yourself, "I can't even draw a stick figure - how am I going to design a banner?" Have no fear, there are many resources online that will help you make banners quickly and easily.