Serious runners and walkers eventually turn to treadmill workouts so that they can exercise safely and conveniently at any time of day or night in their own homes. Fitness experts agree that one of best ways to get in shape and stay that way is by running or walking every day, but reality is that it isn’t always safe or practical to do so on "the open road." If your free time is in early morning or late at night, or your route is by a roadway where there is heavy or high-speed traffic, your most important goal may become getting home alive, which misses point of whole thing. Also, it isn’t fun or sensible to run in snow, sleet, hail, rain, or blazing sun. A treadmill workout is answer to all these problems.
There are health clubs and gyms that offer treadmill workouts to their clients, but you may have decided that you don’t like hours offered by club or gym near you, or locations are not convenient, or you prefer not to have an audience when you work out. Whatever drives you to it, if you are concerned about health and fitness, you will eventually buy a treadmill for home use, and you should make sure you are getting a good piece of equipment at a reasonable price. It is also important to select a model with features that you will use and enjoy:
• If you have limited room in your home or apartment, you will be happiest with a fold-up machine that can be stored out of way in a closet or under bed.
• If money is not a concern, you can combine fitness and entertainment by choosing a treadmill with a built-in television and speakers; or you may be happy with an inexpensive manual machine, which you can position in front of TV.
• There are treadmills with controls that monitor speed, pace, incline, time, distance traveled, calories burned, and with heart rate controls and pulse sensors.
• Many models have built-in racks and nests to hold reading material, a water bottle, a CD player or a cell phone, and a towel.
• If you would like sophisticated gadgetry on a treadmill but cost is prohibitive, you should check out used treadmills and discount treadmills, which may offer what you want at a price you can afford.
A Variety of Treadmill Workouts are Available
• There are treadmills that include workout CDs with energizing music and workout videos with spectacular scenery to create illusion that you are outdoors, or you can buy these separately. (And if you want fresh air to go with it, you can open a window.)
• Some treadmills have pre-set programs, such as interspersing flat surface workouts with inclines, or by varying speeds. Some programs are designed for weight loss and some for cardio fitness, and all will have different levels of intensity. There are programs that vary speed and force of workout to keep your heart rate within a pre-selected zone.
• On some machines, you can design a personal program for yourself, and, of course, all treadmills allow user to change speed or incline during workout, usually at push of a button.
Treadmill Workouts Keep You Motivated
• ProForm – Some models of ProForm treadmills come with interactive workout disks that include music, incline and speed controls, and recorded advice by personal trainers to encourage you to monitor and gradually improve your cardiovascular fitness.