While doing research on Internet for things that looked interesting and had some moneymaking potential I stumbled across a website dedicated to domain names. There are many, but that particular site had loads of articles and helpful hints. One of articles caught my attention when it mentioned dictionary domain names.
I immediately started thinking …yes; maybe I could register some valuable dictionary domains and somehow make money from them. That potential bubble was quickly burst when virtually everything I could find about domain names indicated all good names had been registered. It seemed to be true. I spent hours thinking up names, then checking, only to find they had already been registered.
Now, true to all I’d read, I was only attempting to come up with .com domain names since by now I too had come to believe best chance of making money from domain names was to own names with much more popular .com extension. There are, however, significant exceptions but that will not concern us here.
After my initial failure to find decent domain names …almost all first two hundred names I thought were good were already taken, I decided maybe I should take a different approach. I had read several articles indicating dictionary domain names had intrinsic value compared to non-dictionary URL’s. I agree, however it still is not easy to sell a dictionary domain name, or any domain name for that matter, in my experience. Even more so, it seemed like all single word dictionary names were already registered, adding to my dismay in trying to find good names to register.
It now became a challenge to find unregistered dictionary domain names, with dot com extension. I vowed to find some, no matter what. Being a researcher at heart, but not totally sold on pure Internet research, I decided to straddle fence. I would think up words and write them down on paper, then check them out on a popular Internet website for correct spelling, then check with a registrar to see if they were available to register. It was rare to find any single word domain name that was not already taken. Exceptions were very long undesirable words.
Ok I thought, back to my college days. I got one of my original college dictionaries, now some decades old, and started looking up words. I started with letter Z since I figured there are fewer and less common words beginning with that letter. Knowing it would be unlikely to be able to register any word I already was familiar with I quickly scanned for unknown (words I did not know) words. Bingo! Almost immediately, when I entered word zebeck.com to register it I was shocked to find it available to register. I double-checked spelling and definition. When I was sure there was no mistake I registered it.
After initial shock of actually finding a dictionary word I could register I made it a goal to spend several nights a week for a month or more to try to find new words. I tried F’s and almost immediately found floccule. Looked up T’s and found thulia. To make matters interesting I found javary, kamacite, togate and others in my dictionary, but they did not show up in dictionary on Internet. Double-checking for correctness, I verified they were indeed true dictionary words and proceeded to register .com version of them.