Controlling Mold Without Toxic Chemicals

Written by Debra Lynn Dadd

Mold can grow anywhere there are damp conditions--from a windowsill to a bathroom, to a whole house. Whilerepparttar health effects of most common molds are minimal,repparttar 150565 chemicals we commonly use to removerepparttar 150566 unsightly growth can harm our health. Mold cleaners can contain toxic chemicals such as pentachorophenol, which can be harmful through skin absorption or inhalation, and formaldehyde, which can cause cancer as well as irritate eyes, throat, skin, and lungs. Many mold cleaners carryrepparttar 150567 “DANGER” warning label and state that they should be used only in a well-ventilated area (next time you want to clean mold from your shower, look around forrepparttar 150568 ventilation...)

Fortunately, there are ways to clean and even prevent mold that are natural and safe for you and your family.

Mold is a living organism that needs certain conditions to stay alive. A moist, dark, environment with little moving air is perfect. Mold just can't live in an environment that is dry, light, or breezy. The solution to any mold problem of any kind is to introduce heat (to dryrepparttar 150569 moisture), light, or moving air (such as from a fan).

I used to live in an old house in a forest, next to a creek, in an area that has a lot of rainfall inrepparttar 150570 winter. One year was particularly cold and rainy and so to conserve heat, I closedrepparttar 150571 door on my extra bedroom, which contained books and research papers, a bed, and out-of-season clothing. Byrepparttar 150572 end of winter, there was so much mold in that room that it was literally growing on my clothing. My cotton espadrille shoes and cloth-covered binders were covered with blue fuzz. What to do? Mold was covering literally everything!

In my situation, I opted to use heat. I put a portable space heater inrepparttar 150573 room and closedrepparttar 150574 door. After several hours I peeked in and steam was rising. It was like a sauna. After twenty-four hours, however, all was bone dry and I was able to brush visible mold (now a dry powder) from walls, clothing, and other surfaces. The moral ofrepparttar 150575 story: if you live in a damp environment that doesn't get much sun, make sure your heat circulates completely aroundrepparttar 150576 house, and even though it may take more energy, it's needed to keep your home dry and safe. Mold can do damage to material possessions and human health, so its better to stay warm and dry.

What Causes Allergies?

Written by Harold Miller

Almost 40 percent ofrepparttar human population will suffer from allergies at some point in their lives. Itchy eyes, stuffy nose, coughing and sneezing are amongrepparttar 150564 most common allergy symptoms and they can make any individual feel tired and weak. Many people often wonder if they can avoid allergies by doing things differently in their day-to-day routines. The answer is yes. However, before you change your schedule to avoid allergies you may want to find outrepparttar 150565 cause of your allergy. It is a good idea to determine if it is worthrepparttar 150566 hassle. The following is a list of things which may triggerrepparttar 150567 allergies in your system to act up:

Pollen, Dust Mites and Mold

These substances are well-known for causing allergies. Different factors determinerepparttar 150568 levels of these substances on a regular basis. If pollen levels are high, you will be more likely to suffer from allergies. The best way to avoid these substances is to stay indoors and to dust and clean often. If you go outside, make sure you shower or bathe as soon as you return home. This will wash off any unwanted substances like pollen or dust which may be on your clothing or your body.


Regardless of how much you are exposed to pollen or other allergy-triggering substances, you may suffer from allergies purely due to genetics. If two people are inrepparttar 150569 exact same conditions atrepparttar 150570 exact same time, one person may suffer more thanrepparttar 150571 other because it is in their blood. You can thank your parents for that and there is nothing you can do to prevent this from happening.

Cont'd on page 2 ==> © 2005
Terms of Use