Complete your bookshelves with bookendsWritten by Johann Erickson
When trying to decide how to best decorate a shelf or table top, bookends should be considered. They are great decorating accent pieces and also work as functional items, preventing book warping, decreasing page wrinkling, and protecting book covers. In addition to preserving your books, bookends add finesse to home offices, libraries, children’s rooms, and family rooms. For a unique decorating approach, place them in a bathroom to hold bubble bath reading material.
But bookends don't only hold books. They can add drama to a CD collection, accessorize photo albums, or hold folders of work to be completed—use your imagination. You can arrange cookbooks between bookends that match your kitchen decor, whether it is roosters, apples, or decorative bottles. Then, group with baskets, decorative plates, or a prized cookie jar. Books that no one intends to read can be partnered with bookends and displayed on top of kitchen cabinets.
What kind of bookends are available? Any kind you want. You simply need to determine what material and shape book ends need to be in order to contribute to definition of a particular room. For example, a little girl’s room could utilize bookends that look like Noah's Ark to hold her collection of Childrens books. Brass eagle book ends would look great in a den filled with deer heads and decoys, while cherub characters may fit best in an elegant living room holding books of romantic poetry.
Complete your wall decor with Decorative PlatesWritten by Johann Erickson
Decorative plates are often overlooked when decorating a home. Yet, it's details that really make elements of a room come together—and decorative plates are a detail present in most rooms. While there are decorative plates that are solely functional in purpose, most have potential to add to ambiance of a room. Think about following wall plate options:
- Cover your decorative plates in wallpaper that matches your wall for an understated elegance. You can also use this method to hide outlets on walls that display art.
- Wood decorative plates are perfect for a room with a country or colonial flair.
- Metal decorative plates come in a variety of textures and materials. Metal wall plates enhance contemporary, Victorian, and rustic decor.
- Porcelain decorative plates complement shabby chic, bathrooms, and some Victorian design.
- Mirror decorative plates can be used on mirrors, mirrored walls, or even as an eclectic detail in a uniquely decorated room.