Competency Based Interviews - 6 Steps to Success!Written by Martin Haworth
More and more organisations are using a competency based framework for interviewing. Here are 6 steps to help you make best impression - and get job!
Competency based interviews are intended to get best from you, candidate, whilst also fulfilling needs of organisation to get very best person for job. There are some easy steps to make most of yourself and have a much better chance of success.
- Prepare well, but keep it sensible As long as you know job you are going for, ask for details of what you will be measured against. Ask for a set of competencies. Ask for a job description. This sets you up to succeed, not just because you are better informed, but also because you have asked - which will impress decision-makers, before you even get there!
- Get Creative Here is time to use your own experiences to create 'stories' which you can use in actual interview. These 'stories' are real scenarios that you have been a part of, which over a period of days and weeks beforehand, you write up. Maybe you will have 20+ initial ideas.
- Leverage! Take very best scenarios and write them out, bullet points first. Then flesh them out, whilst referring carefully to competencies you've been given. It is amazing how you can 'tune-in' your scenario to include many, if not all of competencies. And if you can't fit them all in, there will be a use for them - later!
- Practice By reading through your scenarios (and by now you should not have more than six or seven) you will familiarise yourself with contents, so well, that they will become second nature - even in scary experience of an interview.
- In Interview There are some tactics in here too!
Five Secrets to Becoming the Perfect Employee That Everyone Wants - Part OneWritten by Ed Sykes
With ever increasing deadlines, decreasing resources, and changing workplaces, sometimes it can be challenging to be a good employee, much less a perfect employee. The employee who can rise above everyday problems and embrace challenges will be person that every employer wants.
The following are five secrets to being perfect employee everyone wants:
1. Respect. Respect others with whom you work everyday. What is respect? Respect comes in many different forms. The following are just a few examples: * Respect fellow employees as individuals with unique ideas and thoughts that may be different from yours. This diversity of ideas may seem a little different at first, but that is how we produce better solutions. “Group think” often gets you nowhere fast. Embrace diversity of thought so that you are open minded for better solutions. * Respect fellow employees by greeting them in morning. Many times I hear from employees who say that certain co- workers make it unpleasant in office because they seldom say “Good Morning” or “Hello,” don’t smile, and are just plain nasty to fellow co-workers. Take time to give a pleasant greeting to your co-workers even when you may be having a difficult time. You will be known as someone who is pleasant to work with, and guess what; more opportunities will come your way. Also, you can break out of a bad mood and become more productive at work if you are pleasant to others. * Respect work of others. Appreciate time and efforts of co-workers and let them know. You may not agree on final product, but you can respect time and effort put into project. * Respect others by practicing Golden Rule…well sort of. The Golden Rule states “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Well, there are many people, because of their poor self-esteem, who like to be “dumped on” emotionally and physically. If we follow Golden Rule, does that mean that these same people should “dump on” their fellow co-workers? Of course not! Treat your co- workers with utmost respect and appreciation they deserve. 2. Knowledge. Knowledge is key. The workplace is constantly changing. Even look of change is changing. Also, change is happening faster and faster. Just look around you in society, work, and technology. The only way to master change is to gain knowledge to be ahead of change.
Take time to learn not only about your present job, but also about your future job opportunities. This will make you a more valuable employee. Also, take time to learn about job that is one level above your present position. When this position becomes available, you will be in a better position to receive a promotion.