What is ColdFusion and ColdFusion Web Hosting?
ColdFusion is a server scripting environment for creating powerful Internet applications. ColdFusion combines intuitive scripting, effortless connectivity to database information, and effective built-in search and charting capabilities. ColdFusion enables developers to easily build and deploy dynamic websites, content publishing systems, self-service applications, commerce sites, and more.
ColdFusion web hosting requires both a web server and ColdFusion server, as explained below:
How does ColdFusion work?
When a web user requests a ColdFusion page, web server receives request and then passes it on to ColdFusion server. ColdFusion then reads data sent and processes ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML) used in page. Based on CFML, ColdFusion server executes logic and interacts with database(s) or other technologies requested. ColdFusion then generates an HTML page, returns it to web server and web server then passes page back to user's web browser. As slow as this may sound, proper ColdFusion web hosting allows all of this to happen with remarkable speed and efficiency.
What is ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML)?
ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML) is tag-based server-scripting language that allows rapid development of web sites powerful enough to handle most demanding web-application logic. CFML is ideally suited to programming applications that use HTML and XML as CFML syntax is closely related. This makes programming easy for new developers while advanced developers can easily extend CFML through custom tags, reusable components, and user-defined functions.
Who should use ColdFusion?
ColdFusion is designed to build dynamic websites and Internet applications. New developers will enjoy short learning curve of this intuitive server scripting environment. Advanced developers will appreciate ColdFusion's more advanced features and components, most of which are listed below:
Advantages of ColdFusion: Simplicity and Power All Rolled Into One
* ColdFusion comes with a rich set of built-in capabilities that deliver high performance and scalability.
* Intuitive HTML-like tag-based language.
* Fewer lines of code are required by handling low-level programming tasks automatically and reusing code.
* Custom tag libraries, reusable components, Java/C++, and thousands of available third-party add-ons allow advanced users to easily extend ColdFusion web capabilities.
* Cool, integrated ColdFusion web application services for adding full-text search and dynamic charting.
* Macromedia Flash developers can now use same scripting language for both client and server logic.
* Dreamweaver MX fully supports ColdFusion MX features allowing for powerful visual layout abilities, enhanced code editing and development capabilities, and integrated debugging.
* All scalability, reliability, and power of Java platform in a less complex environment.
* Easy integration with your existing technology infrastructure.
* Support for leading server operating systems, web server software, mail servers, directory servers, file systems, and relational database management systems.