1. What age should I start using prong collar?
[Adam replies: ] Generally speaking, at about four months of age… when you see adult teeth begin to come in.
2. What should I be teaching, obedience wise, with 8 month puppy?
[Adam replies: ] At eight months of age, there really isn’t ANYTHING you can’t teach dog, obedience-wise.
3. When you say pop, when teaching down command,do you mean I should pop prong collar? So for example if dog gets up from down/stay position and walk away, you said to say NO, pop leash, then say NO all way back to manhole, then pop leash again? Do you mean to pop prong or to guide him into down/stay position?
[Adam replies: ] When I say “pop” I mean to tug on leash. Make sure you’re starting and ending with slack. So, you say, “No!” then go to dog and give a pop on leash, then walk him back to spot and reissue “down” command… and then “pop” downward (or to side) on leash and put him back into down position.
5. What's difference between obedience training and sport training (i.e. Schutzhund)? Why do they say you shouldn't train your dog in obedience if you want him to be in Schutzhund? (I just want to know for my own knowledge)
[Adam replies: ] Schutzhund is a dog sport incorporates an obedience routine, as well as a protection and tracking routine. The obedience exercises are mostly route exercises, and are not trained in a street-smart context. As for why you supposedly shouldn't train your dog in obedience if you want him to be in Schutzhund… this is a myth. Some macho types will consistently over-correct their dog in obedience phase… and this will kill drive. But anyone with even a shred of common sense will avoid this predicament.
6. What do you think of raw diets for dogs? Worth it??