The day is coming soon when every web wanderer goes shopping online without a care. A day when nobody hesitates for even a microsecond before entering their credit card information and clicking on "BUY".
But at moment, only 40% of all Internet users are doing so. The other 60% still want to have their purchases firmly in hand at cash register before opening their wallets.
So how do you, as an Internet entrepreneur, overcome ultimate e-challenge? How do you reach out and comfort nervous and hesitant?
The answer is surprisingly simple and inexpensive, but rarely used to its best effect: communication. Specifically, things you communicate to your customers about your service/product and WAY you express them.
Think about atmosphere that makes you feel comfortable when you go shopping... how staff treat you at your favorite store... how did they win your trust and your business?
Most online shoppers are attracted by a casual style of information presentation. Imagine how you would pitch your product if client were seated right in front of you. Actually trying this with a friend or coworker can help clarify your thoughts. Then write it that way (preferably without ums and ahs!) Get text proofread carefully... nothing diminishes respect like a page full of spelling mistakes!
Want to really connect with your visitors? Introduce yourself or another key person in company by using a real name and photograph. This brands site as belonging to a real, live person and creates a subtle bond.
An "About Us" page is perfect place to build on that feeling. Here's where you explain what compelled you to start your e-business, what your goals are, your business ethic and why customers should deal with you instead of your competition. In fact, a short 3- or 4-line version of that same text can be displayed on bottom of each page of your site as a sort of signature.
And never forget best free confidence-builder ever invented: testimonial. Include as much information as you can about source of testimonial: first and last names, city of residence, business name or URL if applicable. (Get permission first) This lends much more credibility than, for example:
"Loved your online underwater basket weaving course!" JB, USA.
Then put those quotes in high traffic locations. Don't make your customers search high and low for them because most won't bother.
Brag a little... If your site is affiliated with or has been recognized by other organizations, get permission to use their logo on your index page. Same goes for any awards you've received. Those little official-looking buttons and logos breed trust because they ARE official looking and because respected institutions stand behind them!