I think we need to break Chinese medicine's wisdom down into bite-sized, practical pieces. Though I think they are rather cliché and simplistic, popular magazine style, "5 Tips to Make Your Life Perfect in 5 Minutes Without Lifting a Finger!" piques curiosity, and gets in our heads. If we can pick up one useful thing, we've learned and can live better. On other hand, it does no good to overwhelm people with something they can't digest or use.
Nine Ways to Nurture Your Emotional Well Being
This list is based on Chinese medicine advice for emotions through centuries. The how-to's and benefits are mostly my ideas. The daily blueprint comes from book, "The Power of Focus". You can find other self-examination and spiritual tools in a wide range of books.
1. Be Grateful: Recognize what you've achieved, and enjoy it. Once you've reached a goal, celebrate. Otherwise you get stuck in 'never enough' trap.
How: Make a weekly list of things in your life for which you are grateful. Review both new and perpetual reasons for gratitude.
Benefit: You can't be grateful and hateful at same time, so more grateful you are, happier you'll be.
2. Choose Achievable Goals: Avoid overly ambitious goals, because foiled plans lead to frustration, with-drawal, and depression.
How: Review your plans and dreams, and then break them down into subtasks you can definitely finish (this is called a critical path). Set realistic dates for each task. If you run into an impasse, then reassess your path, or your goal.
Benefit: You'll achieve more, and feel more capable and successful.
3. Live Moderately: Work and live moderately. Balance means not overworking and not being lazy.
How: Make a blueprint for each day that allocates specific times for action, learning, exercise, review, relaxation, and family. See book, The Power of Focus.
Benefit: Stay well and avoid diseases that come from overwork. Feel fulfilled and avoid guilt, which drains your energy. Sharpen your saw. Improve your effectiveness and understanding. Feel satis-fied you're available to loved ones.
4. Be Regular: Keep a consistent routine in work, meals, exercise, and rest. Regularity is easier on your nervous system, so your body will know what to expect.
How: Use daily blueprint tool from #3.
Benefit: You experience less stress and have more vitality.
5. Eat and Sleep Sensibly: Quality sleep and a normal appetite are best signs of health, and everything else depends on them. If you want to get or stay well, take care of these two aspects of your health.
How: See healthful eating tips in chapter 33 and sleep tips in chapter 56.
Benefit: Natural, deep sleep renews and refreshes your mind and heals your body. Proper eating and digestion optimize your immune system and prev-ent sickness.