If you're just starting out on Internet choosing a domain name is one of first major decisions you will have to make. I won't say that choosing a name for your site will determine overall success or failure of your online business. It will, however, affect almost every aspect of your business. Finding a good domain name requires extensive planning.
I would like to offer some tips for successfully choosing a domain name:
1) Use .COM extension. This is still number one choice for majority of online businesses. While, .NET, .ORG,.INFO,.BIZ, and .US are viable alternatives they are not as widely recognized as .COM. The .COM extension will immediately give you and your business more credibility. Also, because we are creatures of habit many people automatically include .COM when typing in almost any web address, so why not capitalize on human nature?
2) Keep it Short. Whenever possible your domain name should not be longer than 13-15 characters, numbers, or hyphens. It is much more difficult for average person to remember longer variations of a web address.
3) Make it Sticky. You want your domain name to be easy to remember. Make it stick out in people's minds. Be creative. Be Unique.
4) Minimize Confusion. You should never lose a prospective customer because they misspelled your domain name, or they used wrong extension. If you can afford it, register other variations of your domain name and have them redirect to your main site.
5) Include Keywords in Your Domain Name. Try to include at least 1 and if possible 2 keywords in your domain name. Many of experts believe this can help with way some of search engines index and rank your site.
6) Be Descriptive. Your domain name should have something to do with your business. Make it descriptive of your site, your product offerings, or your service.