In my 55 years I have spent about 50 of them marketing and selling something. Along way I learned a few things about designing a web site with e-commerce that I would like to share.
1. Keep it simple. Design it to download fast, easy-to-understand with effective graphics and writing.
2. Keep it professional. Good clean appearence and design. Flows well, functional and easy to navigate.
3. Keep it current. Make sure information is timely and accurate. Make changes and updates often.
4. Keep it selling. Install a simple catalogue system complete with a secure shopping cart and credit card ability. Advertise and promote it for new and repeat sales.
5. Keep it sticky. Make it interesting. Make changes and updates often. Provide new, relative information. Add and delete products.
6. Keep it out there. Advertise, promote and share. Be excited to always let people know where your site is. Write newsletters, articles, press releases. Attend conventions and other events.
7. Keep in touch. Personal, quick response to e-mail. Include your real telephone, address. Use auto responders where proper but sparingly. Have brochures and biz cards. Have chat room, bulletin boards, signature lines. Don't ever, ever SPAM!