Continued from page 1
- WHITE BROADLEAF SAGE Primarily air element though can also be used as for four-element general purposes. This is a broad leaf sage is highly prized for its strong aromatic properties (strongest of different types of sage). Considered king if all sages. Excellent for meditation, divination, smudging, cleansing and purification.
- YERBA SANTA LEAVES Traditionally used for enhancing psychic abilities, magical protection, healing and spiritual strength. Excellent for meditation and divination. Said to be ruled by moon. One Native American tribe rolled leaves into balls, dried it in sun and chewed it for a natural mouthwash.
- HIBISCUS FLOWERS Primarily fire and water elements. Produces a sharp, invigorating scent that lasts for a long time after burning. Often used in divination and psychic communication. Excellent for rejuvenating senses and restoring life force.
- ROSE FLOWERS AND PETALS Primarily water element. Produces a heavy, warm, aromatic scent with just a hint of sharpness – scent lasts a long time after burning. Excellent for meditation, divination, increasing psychic abilities, contacting powers and beings in other dimensions and psychic communication. Also traditionally associated with attracting love, conferring peace, stimulating sexual appetites and enhancing beauty.
- SWEETGRASS Primarily air element. As its name suggests, sweetgrass produces a sweet and light fragrance that does not last for long. Excellent for cleansing sacred space. Sweetgrass is a rare grass which is found growing wild in very few places. Traditionally, sweetgrass is believed to invite good spirits.
You can burn these herbs singly or in combination with each other. One good combination that covers all four magical elements of air, fire, water and earth is pine resin and sage (either desert sage or white broadleaf sage). This combination is appropriate for general use, cleansing, ceremony and ritual.
To order smudging supplies, visit Esoteric School Store at http://www.shamanschool.com/magicsupplies.html.
<><><> WHEN TO SMUDGE YOURSELF <><><> Smudging yourself on a daily basis can be very helpful in keeping yourself balanced and maintaining a peaceful state of being. However, you should definitely use shamanic smudging techniques when you’ve been around people who are ill, depressed, fearful, angry or generally emotionally unbalanced; before meditating to create a calm state of being; when you’re feeling blue or depressed; or when you’ve been under a lot of stress.
Smudging yourself is easy. If you’re using a smudge stick, light smudge stick on a candle flame. Hold stick in flame until there is a lot of smoke and stick is burning well (that’s why a candle is better than a match—it can take a while to get stick really smoking). Using a feather (or feather fan) or your hand, gently fan smoke onto your body, starting at top of body and moving downward. Get back of your body as best you can (it’s often easier to use a smudge pot and loose herbs for this). When you’re done, inhale a little of smoke (just a little!) to purify your insides.
If you’re using a smudge pot or Firebowl and loose herbs, light herbs (using self-lighting charcoal—not barbeque kind!) until it is smoking well. Then, put Firebowl on ground and stand over it with your legs spread and feet on either side. Weave back and forth in smoke until you have been thoroughly cleansed. Clothing is optional for this approach, and smudging in nude is recommended for a more thorough cleansing. Again, when you’re done, inhale a little of smoke to purify your insides. People often feel more relaxed, lighter and brighter after smudging.
If you’re going to use smudge smoke during meditation, use a charcoal burner or Firebowl, light herbs and enjoy scent and smoke as you meditate. Meditating with these herbs often produces a deeper and longer-lasting state of relaxation and contemplation.
<><><> GETTING STARTED, GETTING MORE… <><><> To find out how to use smudging to cleanse your personal space, sacred objects and your house, check out Firebowl ebook from Esoteric School. Get details at:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Esoteric School of Shamanism and Magic A Path to Freedom! Real Magic. Real Solutions. Courses and materials for all levels of study. http://www.shamanschool.com email@example.com 888-446-2442 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Stephanie Yeh, co-founder of the Esoteric School of Shamanism and Magic (http://www.shamanschool.com), helps clients use magical and shamanic techniques to manifest their desires. Stephanie has created several online and video classes to make this information more accessible. She also helps others learn to create abundant health and wealth with spiritual and practical resources through her site, Prosperity Abounds (http://www.prosperity-abounds.com).