Continued from page 1
STARTING A HOME BASED BUSINESS -------------------------------
+ You are your own boss. You make decisions, and answer only to business and to your customers.
+ Lots of variety! You have a hand in everything - you are product developer, marketer, janitor, secretary, web designer, and bookkeeper, all rolled into one.
+ Income potential is unlimited! You're not restricted to how much boss decides you'll make. You ARE boss!
+ You can exercise your creativity and independence. You decide on type of business you want, in an area for which you have a passion. Business can be FUN, and you have opportunity to make it "yours"!
+ You have opportunity to pursue your "dream". You may have a vision that you'd like to see achieved - now you can give it a try!
- You are your own boss. Yes, this can be perceived as a negative as well as a positive! You have ultimate responsibility for success of your business.
- There's an element of risk. Every business, regardless of what it is, comes with a risk of failure.
- You provide your own health care benefits.
- Income is variable. Your business will go through both good and bad times, which may make it harder to plan. Plus longer hours don't necessarily translate into more income... at times you may find yourself working long hours just to survive! It also takes time before you begin to turn a profit.
- Long hours! The prevailing myths that home business owners sleep in, watch daytime TV, and generally have a 'relaxed' lifestyle are generally not true. Most home business owners work far more than typical 40-hour work week.
It takes all types of people to run world... not everyone is meant to run a business, and not everyone will flourish when working a job. Decide what's right for *you* - and then set out to achieve it.
Angela is the editor of Online Business Basics, a practical guide to building a profitable Internet business on a beginner's budget. Visit her online at http://onlinebusinessbasics.com/article.html