Continued from page 1
3. There are two different types of body fat - brown and yellow. Brown fat is situated inside body and is 'active', containing mitochondria that produce heat (thermogenesis) and as a result burn energy. Yellow fat is found nearer surface, is less active and more likely to accumulate. Women tend to have a higher ratio of yellow fat than men.
4. Women need higher levels of fat because it is essential for reproduction and so body stores it 'just in case'.
5. An average healthy intake of good fats in diet should be approximately 30-40 grams a day. The fat content of diets in affluent populations can be nearly four times this amount!
6. Most foods containing fat combine saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat in varying quantities. For instance, butter's fat content is almost 100%, of which 60% is saturated, 30% monounsaturated and 10% polyunsaturated, compared with sunflower seeds' fat content of 73%, of which just 12% is saturated and 21% monounsaturated and 67% is polyunsaturated.
7. Heat, light and oxygen destroy essential fatty acids, which is why it is best to keep oils in dark containers.
8. Essential fats must come from diet because your body cannot produce them. The essential healthy fats are Omega 3 and Omega 6 (known as essential fatty acids).
9. Weight for weight, fat provides more than twice amount of usable energy than carbohydrates or protein (you'll find 9 calories in every gram of fat).
10. Fat contributes to palatability, texture and smell of many foods, it also slows down process of digestion providing an extended period of satiation after a meal.
When you know good from bad, fat is fabulous!
(c) Copyright Kim Beardsmore
Kim is a successful weight loss coach who will cut through the diet-hype and help you reach your goal weight. No public 'weigh-ins', meetings that cost you money or fads...simply results you will love! You can receive a free consultation. Visit today: http://tinyurl.com/4ad56 Are you interested in earning money from home? We can help you grow a profitable home business: http://tinyurl.com/46oqa