Continued from page 1
Because of points above, I think those who say they are looking or waiting for their soul mate really mean they are looking or waiting for someone with whom love, relationship, and intimacy will happen instantly. Unfortunately, as I said, this very rarely has a happy ending. Relationships are not about instant gratification and instantly knowing whether you are "meant to be" with someone.
A healthier, more realistic, and more successful notion is one where you and your partner grow to become "soul mates." In other words, you grow to be in love with one another, to know each other intimately, to cherish and support each other, to share closeness unequal to other relationships. And this can only happen with time.
How do you grow into "soul mates?" Here are some ideas:
* When meeting potential partners, do not look for an instant feeling of recognition or a strong connection. Instead look for a subtle attraction and a subtle connection.
* While dating, take time to become good friends and get to know each other. Do not assume you know person you are dating before you have been with him or her for at least 6 months.
* Emphasize excellent communication right from beginning. Establish a standard of communication both of you are comfortable with, and hold each other to that standard.
* Accept each other for who you are. Neither of you will be exactly like other, nor will you do things in exactly same ways.
* Accept and appreciate each other's shortcomings even as you accept and appreciate each other's good qualities. No one is perfect - not even your soul mate.
Your Relationship Coach, Rinatta Paries www.WhatItTakes.com
(c) Rinatta Paries, 1998-2002. Do you know how to attract your ideal mate? Do you know how to build a fulfilling relationship, or how to reinvent yours to meet your needs? Relationship Coach Rinatta Paries can teach you skills and techniques to attract and sustain long-term, healthy partnerships. Visit www.WhatItTakes.com where you'll find quizzes, classes, advice and a free weekly ezine. Become a "true love magnet(tm)!"
Having coined the phrase "relationship coach," Master Certified Coach Rinatta Paries works with singles to help them attract their ideal relationship, and helps couples create more love and fulfillment in their existing relationships. Visit her web site at www.WhatItTakes.com or e-mail her at coach@WhatItTakes.com.