Continued from page 1
While Deere and Company had been experimenting with various tractor designs since 1912, nothing had proven itself to be a seller on market.
After much consideration and despite consternation of certain board members, Silloway believed Waterloo Boy Model N was second best tractor on market, first belonging to International Harvester Company.
Sales in 1919 did hit a slump, mostly due to Henry Ford's introduction of Fordson tractor, but board members of Deere and Company did take an option to purchase Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company.
On March 14, 1918, an agreement was reached by board agreeing to purchase Waterloo company for $2,350,000.
On January 20, 1920 Deere and company were officially in tractor business. The acquisition gave many more sales opportunities to Waterloo Boy tractor as Deere and Company had an already established dealer network across United States.
The new John Deere Waterloo Boy tractors were to be painted John Deere green, except for: hub caps - red, gasolene tank - red.
The Waterloo Boy decals were were still used, however John Deere decals were placed on front.
In March and April of 1920 Model N had privilege of being first tractor tested at Nebraska under new tractor testing law.
The tractor exceeded advertised 12 - 25 and became also first tractor to be certified.
The Waterloo Boy Overtime Tractors
Export of Model R began in 1917 with tractors going to Denmark, England, France, Greece, Ireland and South Africa. Most of these exported to England were purchased by L. J. Martin, head of Overtime Tractor Company, London.
Upon arrival these tractors received a new paint job, decals and serial number and a new name....Overtime.
In Great Britain, Waterloo Boy tractors burned paraffin, British equivalent of kerosene.
For a complete history of all the John Deere Two Cylinder Tractors, visit our tribute to the Johnny Poppers and also see pics of our working 2 cylinder tractors, along with a whole bunch of Cool Green & Yellow stuff