Continued from page 1
10. Choose a goal that you can be proud to work toward and which enhances and maintains your self-respect.
11. Don't forget to take short breaks throughout your workday.
12. Think ahead. Always have a plan B in case plan A does not work.
13. Mistakes happen. If it's your fault, admit it and don't waste time and energy with excuses.
14. Take time to exercise regularly. Exercise is a good stress-buster.
15. Improve your relationships. Give up those that lead nowhere and drain your energy.
16. Pace yourself. Know your limits. If you feel you can go extra mile and it's a worthy goal, then go for it...but don't obsess or overdo. Sometimes, less is more.
17. If a situation or workload appears overwhelming don't panic. Instead, analyze problem and divide it into smaller, more manageable parts to be completed in an orderly manner.
18. Trying to be king of hill is ok so long as it remains a game. When it becomes a stressful, obsessive and competitive desire to win no matter cost, you've got a problem.
19. A little humor can often diffuse a tense situation.
20. Don't take yourself too seriously. Lighten up...your friends and co-workers will appreciate it and you'll feel better.
21. Continual worry or guilt solves nothing. Take action by changing what you can, ignoring rest and concentrating your effort on creating a better future.
22. Choose work that: (a) you enjoy (b) you are capable of (c) produces results that are helpful to and appreciated by others.
23. Get plenty of sleep and rest. Sleep deprivation is a major cause of burnout, stress and anxiety.
24. Listen to soothing, relaxing music that provides space you need to pause, reflect and regenerate.
25. Unreasonable deadlines can be very stressful. Try to establish a schedule that is realistic and manageable.
26. If a problem or situation is too complex for you to handle, seeking aid of a qualified professional counselor or doctor may provide help and guidance that you need.
Copyright © 2003-2005 Channel 1 Records All rights reserved
Bill Reddie is the owner of Channel 1 Records, a company that has been producing music for stress relief and stress management since 1972. Further information regarding the beneficial effects of music and its potential for relieving stress, anxiety and burnout may be found at: http//www.channel1records.com