Continued from page 1
5. Do not expose a large group of email addresses in your email header. There's a way to send to a group without exposing all email addresses. Simply place addresses in Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) line of your email program.
That will hide those addresses and shield those folks from unwanted email.
6. Do not reply to exposed emails. It's tempting, I know--but resist urge to email all those nice email addresses someone exposed in sending an email to you.
You don't have their permission, and person sending email obviously didn't read this article!
7. Do not spread urban legends. No, I didn't wake up in my bathtub with ice all around me with one kidney gone and Bill Gates is not paying me $200 for forwarding an email.
I'm glad someone has a great imagination. I just wish they'd put it to better use!
8. Do not spread viruses. It's easier to do than you think.
Someone gave me a virus and fortunately it was a fairly harmless one. I sent an attachment to a friend and his antivirus program caught it. He let me know and I immediately got some antivirus software and got rid of it.
And he's still my friend! But make sure you're not spreading viruses through your email.
9. Do not spread hype. "Cough once and make a million dollars." Okay I made that one up, but I'm sure you seen others just as ridiculous.
Like Joe Friday, I want "just facts."
10. Do not overdo it. I don't want to be worried to death by one person emailing me over and over again for no reason. Yes, sometimes repetition is good, but don't needlessly clog up email boxes with same message over and over.
If it's moving a project or conversation forward, that's another matter. But even then, there may come a time when you need to switch to a chat or instant messaging format.
Or even use that ancient invention, telephone!
Keep email great experience it can be and stay away from all these things!
Craig Hardee is the webmaster of http://www.cyberagora.com, Your Internet Multiplex, spotlighting the resources you need to make your time online fulfilling, profitable and fun.