Continued from page 1
Tip #5 for increasing odds:
There are rules to follow when submitting your book to book clubs, so following them carefully should avoid unnecessary rejections.
Here they are:
1. Send your manuscript to Editorial department at appropriate club(s).
2. Include a cover letter that details following information:
• summary of book contents
• description of book (size, binding, hard/soft cover, black & white or color)
• expected selling price
• number of pages
• number and type of photographs and/or illustrations (indicate if black & white or color
• notation if book will be part of a series
• which volume book is in an existing series and a sales history of series
• intended publication date
• plans for publicity and promotion, and your intended budget
3. Include a brief author biography written in third person. Be sure to talk about any previous books published and their sales histories.
4. Send photocopies of some of illustrations and photographs. Please do not send original copies – they will NOT be returned to you.
5. Don’t forget your contact information and website if you have one.
Unfortunately, you cannot contact book clubs to follow up on your submission. It’s a case of “Don’t call us. We’ll call you”. Book clubs receive too many submissions to allow follow up calls or letters. If they are interested, they will call you, usually within two to six months.
Do you think that a book club sale is worth pursuing? Absolutely! We specialize in book club and other non-traditional book sales (more info here: Book Marketing Secrets). For very little effort you can achieve sale of thousands of copies of your book. You will likely be paid a minimum sum per copy, but you will also not have any production costs, and a small sum multiplied by thousands can equate to a very nice check. Your only effort will be to sign a contract, provide your book on disk and collect that check – and just think of free publicity! Thousands of book club members will read about your book. You can’t buy that kind of publicity!
© Copyright 2004 Ink Tree Ltd. Ink Tree Ltd. helps authors publish, market and sell books. We have all tools you need to succeed in book publishing. Let us help you make your book a success. http://www.inktreemarketing.com
Ink Tree Ltd. is a book marketing firm that helps writers publish, market and sell books. Learn everything you need to guide you from Idea to Book... to Success - the fast, easy, simple waywww.inktreemarketing.com