Continued from page 1
• Will you charge an application fee? This can vary drastically from lender to lender, and in some cases fees are negotiable.
• What happens if I pay off my loan early? Some lenders will include a pre-payment penalty in their contract, actually penalizing you for paying off your loan early. If one is included in yours, try to negotiate around it, or look for another lender.
• Can I lock in my rate? Be sure to ask specifics about this. Will it be possible to lock in a rate at application stage, or will you have to wait until you’ve been approved? After you’ve locked it in, how long is it good for?
• Will I be assigned a person that I should call with questions? It is vital that one person is familiar with your application and loan documents so you don’t have to explain yourself every time you call with a question.
• How long will it take you to approve a loan? With Internet and other modern advances, there should no reason that a lender can’t process your loan in a jiffy. If a lender appears to be slow, you should take it as a red flag.
The best way to find a good lender is to use a home mortgage loan company online that will give you multiple offers from different lenders. You want to let lenders compete over your business.
To see a list of recommended mortgage loan companies online, visit this page: http://www.abcloanguide.com/mortgageloans.shtml - Carrie Reeder is the owner of ABC Loan Guide, an informational website with articles and more about various types of loans.